Freitag, 12. Juli 2013

Day 6 - Vesuvius, VA

First big climb today: across the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Blue Ridge Parkway, an "all-american-road" closed for commercial traffic.
I must confess, I didn't feel ready for it. Looked way to steep on the elevation profile. Well, now I can say it wasn't as painful or even impossible as I had it expected to be. Of course I took lots of (short) stops by the side of the road, but it was fun and after gunning down the steep descent I've finally arrived. Couldn't avoid rain this time but what came down was not even close to the day before, no big deal.

The Blue Ridge Mountains reminded me of the Black Forest (that's not far from where I live), both are worth a trip and I hope I can come back some day to do one of the various hikes in the area.

Tonight I'm camping on the lawn behind Gertie's store, a well-known place among transam-cyclists. Update: Pitching my tent under the pavillon was a good choice. I've never seen a rainstorm like this. Brutal! I'm pretty sure the tent wouldn't have kept me dry and I've no idea what I would have done without the pavillon. I'm probably gonna find it out on this trip though...

Even under the pavillon I had to deal with rain, the wind just blew it in. Wait for the video!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen