Dienstag, 16. Juli 2013

Day 11 - Council, VA

Update from the road:
I'm on my way to Council, VA where I'm gonna camp at a church. To get there I have to climb two ridges, especially the first one awfully steep and pretty high. The last stop before that is Hayter's Gap, a settlement without a store. There's a library though, in front of which I lay down under a huge tree to get some rest before tackling the climb. Just seconds later a woman came out and offered me to come in, enjoy the air conditioning and fill up my water bottle. I'm not the first bicyclist to stop here.
And that's where I am right now. Hikers call it "Trail Magic".

http://goo.gl/maps/sKpaj


Update, end of day:

Today was really hard work. I was worn out from the two climbs the day before and had to do pretty much the same thing again. Plus the weather was normal again: 95°F, humidity in the same ballpark. It didn't take long till I looked like after having a swim, wasn't refreshing at all though. Anyway, the first hill was okay. The stop in the library (see text above) did the trick. Yet the second climb was brutal. I felt weak and didn't believe I could make it. 

Arrived at 8:30pm at the town park where I camped on the stage of one of the shelters. There was a party going on in one of the other ones. A woman came over and brought me pizza and cookies. Every day should end like that!

I noticed two things: the litter along the road increases as I get closer to Kentucky. I've been told about that before. The local accent sometimes is impossible to understand. Even the guy from the US I've met told me he couldn't understand many people in Kentucky.







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen