Mittwoch, 24. Juli 2013

Day 19 - West of Sonora

Looong day. Temperature was just perfect, around 25°C and not too humid. Rode through some picturesque countryside, lots of barns, fields, silos, horses and cattle. The sky was all blue for a change and when I even got on  "McDowell Road" I had the melody of "old McDonald had a farm" in my head for the rest of the day. Felt like: "this must be where the song has been written!". 

Wonderful day with just one (relatively) long climb. Everything else was "Kentucky flat" meaning hundreds of small hills. Totally different story than "Kansas flat" which actually is flat. I've done about 120km and feel like I could do another 50. First time on this trip that I'm not worn out the end of the day. Give me some more weeks and I'm probably "the 100 mile guy" again I was at the end of last summer's trip.

I'm camping behind a grocery store tonight. When I arrived the family running the store was having supper and invited me. Yummie!

First night on this trip I'm not gonna camp alone. David Freeze is a newspaper author reporting about his cross-country ride. Which means a picture of me is gonna be on his blog and maybe even printed, reaching about 50.000 people!
http://www.salisburypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130725/SP01/130729834/1023/david-freeze-ride-update-some-great-weather-and-my-last-time-zone-change&template=artpex#pex4

What I liked about the Pacific Coast was that I always had other cyclists in the camp, often five or more. Doesn't happen on this trip. Just not enough cyclists per mile and besides that most of them are ahead of me. I kinda miss sharing stories and information at the end of day. But even on the transam this strange message system is going on only cyclists know: Information is being spread east and west. Days ago I met a cyclist: "You're the German guy?". He had heard about me from another guy I had talked to some days before.

Haven't been updating the blog recently. I was just to worn out. Maybe I'm gonna ad text to the blanc entries later, maybe not.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen