Freitag, 26. Juli 2013

Day 20 - Utica, KY

David is one of the guys who get on their bikes with the very first sun and are done for the day around noon. What a luck I also got up early today: beautiful morning! Was on the bike at 6:45, heading west where the moon was still visible while a bright orange sun appeared at the horizon behind me, making the road shimmering red. Had the road for me and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery even though it was too cold for just a bike shirt. Got chased by several dogs on the very first mile, at least I wasn't sleepy anymore then...

After two hours of riding it was 7:45. Wait! What had happened?
Time zone change! I started in the eastern time zone and made it to the central time zone. No sign or anything indicating that, I would have failed to set my watch back an hour without the map.
Two more zones left, mountain time and I think it's called pacific time.

Except for 10 miles of steep climbs the day was just rolling hills, did the ~120km without too much effort. Thanks to the weather, which is forecasted to stay in the upper 80s the next days. Perfect!

I'm not sure if they were Amish people, but at one point "old-fashioned" clothed people navigated their horse-drawn coach on the highway. Interesting!

Stayed at the fire station in Utica with two other guys. They looked like >21 and I was surprised and impressed to hear they were just 17 and 18! What are they gonna do in a few years if they're crossing the country at that age?!

2 Kommentare: