Sonntag, 28. Juli 2013

Day 22 - Goreville, Illinois

The last miles in Kentucky were just rolling hills and in no time I had made it to the Ohio river, where a ferry would take me to Illinois.
It was free and surprisingly fast, just a few minutes later I rolled into Cave in Rock, a little town on the other side of the river. A sign told Lewis & Clark had come trough the place on their expedition in the mid 1800s. Following in the footsteps of these brave men - neat!

Illinois wasn't anything close to a "warm welcome".
It started to rain and the hills... this state a freakin rollercoaster!
Not even a state sign they had for me?

Well, rain had stopped when I made it to Elizabethtown where I had some pancakes. It's amazing how cheap restaurants are in the rural areas! I think I paid 5 dollars for three pancakes and coffee. They where used to bikers, someone even wrote "have a safe trip" on the back of my check.

The hills continued all day long. After a pizza at a gas station - the only service along the remaining route - I eventually made it to Ferne Clyffe State Park just south of Goreville. The primitive camp wasn't just some meadow for a change, I got my own secluded spot in the forest.

11 hours from getting on the bike to arriving at the park. No need to explain how my body felt after that kind of torture...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen